- Daily GK Current Affairs 8th August 2018
- 1. DMK Chief M Karunanidhi passes away
- National Affairs
- 2. TRAI integrates its mobile app DND 2.0 &My Call with UMANG platform
- 3. 3rd India-Nepal coordination meeting starts in New Delhi
- 4. Centre urges all states to enforce 2011 Sports Code
- 5. Nikhil Nanda appointed as the Chairman and MD of Escorts
- 6. The World’s first thermal battery plant inaugurated in Andhra Pradesh
- Banking & Finance
Daily GK Current Affairs 8th August 2018
1. DMK Chief M Karunanidhi passes away
- Due to age-related illness, the DMK chief minister Muthuvel Karunanidhi (94 year) and Tamil Nadu chief minister passed away in Chennai.
- For the past 11 days at the Kaveri hospital, Chennai he took medical treatment
- Today Madras High Court granted the permission to bury M Karunanidhi behind Anna Samadhi at Marina Beach.
2. TRAI integrates its mobile app DND 2.0 &My Call with UMANG platform
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has integrated its mobile apps ‘DND 2.0’ & ‘MyCall’ with UMANG(Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) Platform.
- UMANG is developed by National e-Governance Division (NeGD), Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY).
- TRAI MyCall is an intuitive and user-friendly application for Crowdsourced Voice Call Quality Monitoring.
- DND (Do Not Disturb) services app enables smartphone users to register their mobile number under DND and report spam messages or calls to avoid Unsolicited Commercial Communication (UCC)/Telemarketing Calls/SMS.
3. 3rd India-Nepal coordination meeting starts in New Delhi
- In New Delhi the 3rd day India Nepal Coordination meeting has been started.
- In the meeting 7 member delegations headed by the inspector general of Nepal Amed Police Force “shailendrakhanal”.
- The three-day India-Nepal Coordination meeting (3rd) has been started in New Delhi.
- Several important matters like security scenario along the border, coordination meetings at field level, sharing of information about crimes and criminals, training of armed police personnel and mutual visits by officers of two countries will be discussed.
4. Centre urges all states to enforce 2011 Sports Code
- The Union Government urged all the states to enforce 2011 sports code by the Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore a Sports Minister which was followed by the state federations.
- Sports Code of 2011 lays down very specific guidelines as to how the elections will be conducted.
- Some sports federations have been derecognized because of certain lacunae in their functioning.
5. Nikhil Nanda appointed as the Chairman and MD of Escorts
- For the farm and construction equipment maker company Escorts, Nikil Nanda appointed the Chairman and MD for the company Escorts.
- His Rajan Nanda passed away due to illness so he took the place of Chairman and MD of the company
- Nikhil is an alumnus of Wharton Business School, Philadelphia and the key member of the company’s board since 1997.
6. The World’s first thermal battery plant inaugurated in Andhra Pradesh
- The Andhra Pradesh Cheif Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu released the Worlds first Thermal Battery Plant.
- It was manufactured by Bharat Energy Storage Technology Private limited to promote Renewable sources of energy production and reduce reliance on non-renewable fossil fuel based energy production
- The renewable sources of energy production and reduce the dependence on non-renewable fossil fuel-based energy generation.
- It will also be used to store energy for telecommunication, commercial establishments, electric vehicles and highway charging stations.
7. Ivan Duque was sworn in as Colombia’s next president
- Colombia’s President-elect Ivan Duque (42-year) has been sworn in as the country’s 60th president.
- Duque is expected to appoint a cabinet consisting largely of little-known technocrats, with the same number of women and men.
Banking & Finance
8. Bajaj Allianz General Insurance &Vijaya Bank enter banc assurance tie-up
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance has been entered into a bancassurance deal with Vijaya Bank.
- It will enable distribution of Bajaj Allianz General Insurance products through the Vijaya Bank’s network of 2,129 branches across the country.
- Under this strategic tie-up, Bajaj Allianz General Insurance will offer personal lines of insurance products such as health, personal accident, home, motor and travel along with a commercial line of insurance products.
9. Young Saudi gamer wins FIFA e World Cup
- Saudi national Musaed Aldossary (18-year) has been crowned champion of the FIFA e World Cup Grand Final.
- He battled it out against Belgium’s Stefano Pinna to clinch the USD 250,000 prize in the contest held at the O2 in London.
- Mosaad Aldossary has won 4-0 on aggregate against Belgium’s Stefano Pinna in the two-legged final.
10. Facial recognition system set to be used in 2020 Olympic security
- A facial recognition system will be used across an Olympics for the first time during the 2020 Games.
- The NeoFace technology developed by NEC Corp. will be customized to monitor every accredited person including ‘athletes, officials, staff and media’ at games villages and media centers.
- The system is expected to effectively eliminate entry with forged IDs, reduce congestion at accredited waiting lines and reduce athletes’ stress under hot weather.